Written by: Frank Hackett (CPRW)
Updated:February 27, 2023
The job outlook for general laborers is generally good, with openings for construction laborers set to increase faster than the average for all occupations, with a projected 5% growth by 2028. Meanwhile, opportunities for hand laborers and material movers should grow by around 3%. While the projected growth varies somewhat across industry areas, you can expect plenty of opportunities driven by the increase in construction of new homes and public buildings and the need to replace workers exiting the profession.
Although the outlook is good for job seekers looking for general laborer roles, that doesn’t mean you can afford to neglect your resume. These jobs tend to attract a lot of applicants, so it’s important that your resume reflects your abilities and the specifications in the job description. Below, you can download exemplary resumes for general laborers of all experience levels and find tips to help you create the perfect resume.
General Laborer Resume Examples
Years of Experience
Perry L. Smith
1561 NW Some Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
A results-driven General Laborer with two of experience, specializing in landscaping, grounds maintenance, customer service, and residential construction. Adept at interfacing with clients, collaborating with contractors, and ensuring compliance with OSHA safety standards.
Landscape & Maintenance Crew Member, Palm Beach County Landscape, West Palm Beach, FL
August 2018 – Present
- Execute maintenance and construction projects for residential, public, commercial, and industrial properties in collaboration with large teams of contractors and general laborers
- Cut lawns with various sized power mowers and conduct trimming and edging of foliage with shears, pruners, and gas-powered edgers
- Perform landscape grading, apply fertilizers and chemicals, and remove debris using hand tools
Volunteer Groundskeeper, Palm Beach County Parks & Recreation, West Palm Beach, FL
January 2018 – Present
- Removed trash and debris from trails at Riverbend Park, shaped plants with hand tools such as cutters and shears, and supported program managers with special events
- Maintained trails and provided support to landscaping staff for various projects
- Residential Construction
- Client Relations
- Preventative Maintenance
- Power Tool Operation
High School Diploma
Palm Beach Lakes High School, West Palm Beach, FL, 2018
19 Brookhaven Way, Boulder, CO 80300
A dynamic General Laborer with eight years of professional experience performing landscaping projects for residential and commercial properties. A strong history of performing high quality cement finishing and conducting property maintenance with a 92% client satisfaction rate.
Construction General Laborer, Colorado Construction Associates, Boulder, CO
May 2016 – Present
- Execute a variety of landscaping projects for clients, including cutting, grouting, and cement finishing for residential and commercial properties valued at up to $1M
- Load and unload construction material and supply deliveries, maintain hand tools, power tools, and equipment, and ensure compliance with OSHA safety regulations
Landscaping General Laborer, CM Staffing Company, Boulder, CO
October 2014 – May 2016
- Mowed lawns, trimmed hedges, and raked leaves and maintained landscapes and gardens, including planting, pruning, removing debris, and other tasks
- Installed concrete stepping-stones and statues and assembled decorative structures, such as gazebos, benches, and canopies
Associate in Applied Science in Construction Management
Boulder Community College, Boulder, CO, June 2011 – August 2014
- OSHA Safety
- Property Maintenance
- Power Tool Operation
- Customer Service
- Concrete Flatwork Finisher Certification
- Residential Concrete Foundation Technician Certification
567 Second Street, Orlando, FL 12345
A General Laborer with 10+ years of experience supporting commercial and residential projects, including construction, home renovations, and landscaping. Adept at coordinating with diverse teams to execute complex projects on-time and under budget.
General Construction Laborer, HRH Construction, Orlando, FL
March 2012 – Present
- Deliver support to project managers and subcontractors for construction and home renovation projects valued at $500K-$1.2M, including digging and leveling to establish building foundations
- Erect scaffolding on buildings up to three stories, load and unload various construction machinery and materials, and perform various labor tasks in compliance with OSHA safety
- Conduct routine and preventative maintenance on machinery, hand tools, and power tools
Landscaping General Laborer, Garden Style, Orlando, FL
July 2006 – March 2012
- Performed a range of general landscaping duties, including mowing the lawn, raking leaves, pulling weeds, trimming hedges, and leaf blowing
- Unloaded garden design elements and ensured they were placed in the correct position
- Followed detailed instructions provided by clients and management
- Maintained and used various gardening tools such as lawnmowers, shovels, rakes, and leaf blowers.
- Maintained yards and gardens for commercial and residential clients
High School Diploma
Orlando Central High School, Orlando, FL, September 2002 – June 2006
- Residential Construction
- Commercial Construction
- Power Tools
- OSHA Safety
Common Key Skills and Action Verbs for General Laborer Resumes
Understanding which keywords and action verbs hiring managers look for is essential to crafting a strong general laborer resume. Because employers often lack the time to assess resumes manually, they use Applicant Tracking Software to automatically select resumes that meet the job specifications. If you want your resume to be chosen for further consideration, it’s crucial to use as many of the following industry-specific keywords as possible.
|Key Skills & Proficiencies|
|Attention to detail||Communication skills|
|Construction knowledge||Erecting scaffolding|
|Following written and verbal instructions||Health and safety|
|Manual handling||Math skills|
|Physical strength and stamina||Problem-solving|
Tips for Writing a Better General Laborer Resume
Quantify your general laboring experience
Hiring managers want to see that you have experience performing the tasks set out in the job description, but they also want to know how well you can do them. Many of your fellow applicants will have comparable experience on their resumes, so you can get ahead of the game by backing up your statements with hard numbers. This technique clearly demonstrates your skill level to potential employers and could land you that all-important interview.
Cleared dirt, debris and other potential hazards from building sites quickly and efficiently, exceeding 76% of set time targets.
Cleared up debris as fast as possible.
Erected scaffolding and other structures under tight time pressure without compromising safety, receiving praise four times for productivity and hazard awareness.
Put up scaffolding quickly and safely.
Highlight your soft skills
While technical and practical skills are crucial for a successful career as a general laborer, don’t forget to mention relevant soft skills on your CV. Employers tend to favor candidates with attributes such as teamwork, communication and reliability. Including examples of when you’ve demonstrated these skills on your CV can mark you out as a strong candidate, especially if you can back them up with a quantifiable result.
Maintained clear and regular communication with site managers and passed information to colleagues, reducing task errors by 76% over six months.
Talked to the site manager regularly to check for updates.
Worked collaboratively with five colleagues to direct vehicles safely around the site, reducing traffic in hot spots by 32%.
Directed cars and other vehicles around the building site.
How to Align Your Resume with the Job Description
Analyzing the published job description is an excellent way to get a handle on the skills and experience that you should feature in your resume. Hiring managers advertise jobs with an ideal candidate in mind, and the job description usually offers significant insight into what they’re looking for. Reflecting the job requirements as much as possible in your resume shows employers that you can slot neatly into their workforce.
You can generally determine the most important points to cover in your resume by checking what the job description mentions first and highlighting any repeated points. Before sending your resume off for consideration, place it side by side with the job advert to check that you’ve covered as many of the employer’s must-haves as possible.
Example General Laborer Job Description
Smiths Beverages is one of Florida’s top beverage suppliers and was voted as one of the state’s 10 best employers for employee benefits. We are seeking a detail-orientedgeneral laborer to join our warehouse team in Tampa. Our ideal candidate is a strong team player with the organizational skills to ensure seamless delivery of our clients’ orders.
- Manually lift and carry loads weighing up to 50 pounds and perform tasks involving bending, kneeling and stretching
- Maintain a clean and tidy working environment and clear away discarded packaging and other debris
- Transport products, supplies and mechanical equipment to various warehouse zones
- Operate forklifts and other machinery safely
- Collaborate with teammates to deliver packages to dispatch points under tight deadlines
- Follow detailed instructions and procedures to comply with company and state policies
- High school diploma
- Forklift license or willingness to obtain within six months of employment
- Health and safety awareness
- Verbal communication skills
- Ability to read and interpret instructions
You can see from the job description above that the company wants someone with the following competencies:
- Attention to detail
- Organization skills
- Manual handling
- Health and safety awareness
- Clearing debris
- Operating machinery
- Load transportation
- Reading and following instructions
Once you’ve highlighted the skills the hiring manager is looking for, be sure to mention as many as possible in your resume. Here is an example of a general laborer resume extract written to mirror the above description:
General Laborer Work Experience Example
General Laborer, Coca Cola Refreshments, Tampa, FL
June 2014 – September 2019
- Read and closely followed complex procedures and task instructions, receiving praise in three performance reviews for accuracy and attention to detail
- Manually lifted loads weighing up to 60 pounds and used forklifts and other machinery to transport productsaround the warehouse, exceeding productivity targets by an average of 32%
- Worked collaboratively with a team of up to 25 colleagues to maintain a clear and hazard-free working environment, reducing accidental injuries by 76% over three years
- Trained an average of four new workers per year to improve their understanding of warehouse health and safety protocols
What is the best resume format for older workers? ›
For many older job seekers, it may be best to use a hybrid resume. This resume style allows you to highlight your relevant skills at the top of the resume without drawing attention to your dates of employment. While you include your work history in chronological order, it doesn't take center stage.What are the duties and responsibilities of general Labourer? ›
- Transport raw materials, finished products and equipment throughout plant manually or using powered equipment.
- Check and weigh materials and products.
- Sort, pack, crate and package materials and products.
- Assist machine operators, assemblers and other workers.
- Clean work areas and equipment.
Examples of laborer resume objectives
Looking for a general laborer position at Novak Construction. Reliable and experienced general laborer. Ability to work in all forms of weather effectively and collaborate well with a team. Seeking a general laborer position at Domain Landscaping with ample room for growth.
- Choose the right resume format. ...
- Limit your work history to 10 to 15 years. ...
- Don't include graduation dates. ...
- Make the most of your professional summary. ...
- Emphasize your technology skills. ...
- Use a modern font (typeface style). ...
- Include a healthy dose of action verbs.
Hiring managers receive many applications and often have little time to review them. Make sure to submit a concise resume that displays your qualifications for the job immediately. As a more experienced candidate, your resume should be no longer than two pages.How many pages should a resume be at most for older experienced workers? ›
Three-page (or more) resumes
Mid-to-late stage professionals with 15+ years of experience who are applying to senior-level positions may also find that a three-page resume is required to adequately highlight their work experience and accomplishments.
What are general labor skills? General labor skills are a wide variety of abilities used when working general labor jobs, which are physical jobs like construction, manufacturing and housekeeping. These skills help general laborers complete tasks like cleaning, moving and landscaping.What does a skilled laborer do? ›
Builds forms or structures using bricks, concrete and stone, and the repair of same; Performs minor repairs in the electrical, carpentry and plumbing field; Assists skilled mechanics performing mechanical work, in skilled installation and repair work; Performs minor painting work.What are the three 3 main skills which the employers required from his workers? ›
- Critical thinking and problem solving.
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Professionalism and strong work ethic.
- Oral and written communications skills.
The job description is not confined, but the General Laborer Resume gives a list of the following common duties that are carried out normally – cleaning the job site and preparing it for the construction work, loading and unloading materials, operating a variety of tools and machines including forklifts, power drills, ...
How does a retired person write a resume? ›
- Consider a Functional or Combination Resume. ...
- Limit Your Related Experience. ...
- Drop Your Other Experience. ...
- Don't Include Education / Training Dates. ...
- Be Careful About Years. ...
- Target Your Resume. ...
- Highlight Your Skills. ...
- Show You're Connected.
No, you have to include resume dates despite the sad fact of ageism in hiring. Without dates in your work history, applicant tracking systems (ATS) and live hiring managers can't tell if you're worth interviewing.Does age matter on a resume? ›
The passage of anti-discrimination legislation has made employers focus more on an applicant's professional experience than their personal characteristics, so putting your age on your resume is no longer standard practice.How long should a resume be 2023? ›
Between 450-650 words per page (or around 800-1200 words for a two-page resume) is ideal. Less than that means you risk your resume looking a little empty, while more means that it's too difficult for a recruiter to scan.What is the best font for a resume? ›
What Are the Best Resume Fonts?
- Times New Roman.
A two-page resume works well for many job candidates. It's particularly useful for job seekers with 10 or more years of relevant experience. The extra page can be necessary to communicate all of the skills and experience the employer needs to see.What are red flags in a resume? ›
One of the most common resume red flags is an unexplained lengthy employment gap between previous roles. These gaps can sometimes lead hiring managers to assume that you have struggled to land jobs in the past, potentially indicating poor performance or some other shortcoming.What information should not be on a resume? ›
There's no need to include personal information on a resume such as your social security number, marital status, nationality, sexual orientation, or spiritual beliefs. In fact, it is illegal for employers to ask for these personal details.Which of the following things should you not write in your resume? ›
Photographs: Keep your resume to plain text unless specifically requested. Contact details for your references: Your employer will ask for these if they need them. Unexceptional academic results: Instead, draw attention to more positive achievements. Company-specific jargon: Use terminology that anyone can understand.What are the 4 types of labor? ›
What are the four types of labor in economics? The four types of labor in economics are skilled, unskilled, semi-skilled, and professional.
What is the highest-paid skilled labor? ›
- Radiation Therapists. ...
- Nuclear Medicine Technologists. ...
- Dental Hygienists. ...
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Technicians. ...
- Aircraft and Avionics Equipment Mechanics and Technicians. ...
- Boilermakers. ...
- Construction and Building Inspectors. ...
- HVAC Technician.
- Home Inspector.
- Construction Manager.
- Civil Engineering Tech.
- Cable/Fiber Optics Tech.
Responsibilities: Provide patient-centered care to women during labor and delivery, including epidurals, medication administration, physical examinations, and vital sign monitoring. Deliver patient education throughout delivery, recovery, and treatment on potential risks, medication side effects, and surgical ...How can I make my delivery sound better on my resume? ›
When it's time to list your delivery driver skills, be sure to include related skills like record keeping and regulations. You'll also want to give examples of strong communication and problem-solving skills within your Experience section. For more tips, follow along with our route delivery driver resume sample below.What is labor and skills? ›
General labor skills are a wide variety of abilities used when working general labor jobs, which are physical jobs like construction, manufacturing and housekeeping. These skills help general laborers complete tasks like cleaning, moving and landscaping.What do you experience with labor? ›
During active labor, your cervix will dilate from 6 centimeters (cm) to 10 cm. Your contractions will become stronger, closer together and regular. Your legs might cramp, and you might feel nauseated. You might feel your water break — if it hasn't already — and experience increasing pressure in your back.